20 Oct 2013

Have a ball, folks!

Mention a ball and my feet will start tapping
as long as there's music - or perhaps some rapping



of words that will set the mind dancing instead -
as long as the language isn't over my head
with modern expressions that don't mean a thing -
and we can carouse till the fat lady sings
an opera aria which will delight
any opera buffs who are with us tonight...

In one corner a Scots man will pipe us a jig,
in another a sailor in full naval rig
will dance us a hornpipe and shiver me timbers
as I ogle his muscles, all salt-flecked and limber
from climbing the ropes of his ship in full sail
as he weathers the storm  in the face of a gale...

Perhaps we'll hear drumming in good Irish style
as we sip on a Guinness and pause for a while
to study the dancers, at this Willow Ball,
whom Tess has cajoled with her ' Come, one and all!'

I've no time for pictures or musical clips
for writing this ditty was enough for my wits
to contend with, this rather grey day in October.
At this part of the evening I'm still fully sober,
but once the old moon stamps its smile on the sky
I'm sure the festivities will make me high!
So raise up your glasses, and let's have a toast -
" To Tess, and her Manor that spreads coat to coast!"

Thanks for the invite, Tess!

12 comments:

  1. Cheers, Penny ..... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My glass raised high giving a cheer and loved your witty post..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raising a glass of Guinness to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile...thanks Jinksy! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jinsky! That moon is getting to all of us…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a little bit swooshed from all that tango!

      Delete
  6. I'm still fully sober," well that won't do...REFILL~!!! hehe enjoyed the frivolity here...good times~!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great weekend shin-dig Jinksy and your rhyme has danced it's way right across the Manor hallways. Well done. Here's a toast.... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, did I catch sight of you this morning while I was roaming the halls. I swear this place is a maze. If you're still here please let me know the way out.

    ReplyDelete